The day will come when we just can't look at another tomato. Fortunately, that day will arrive sometime in late August or early September (i.e. it's not today).
This easily packable recipe is one of our picnic favorites. Just pour your soup into a thermos, wrap up your sandwiches, and you're ready to hit the road! This healthy meal is hearty and great for groups, so bring it in your basket and share with anyone who stops by your blanket!
Ready to blend up this liquid salad? Here's what you'll need to get started:
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 baguette, split horizontally
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced