It happens every summer.
The moment arrives when, against all odds, you simply can not look at another burger. Don't blame yourself -- we're right there with you! -- and we've come up with a backup plan for when you want a hearty but meatless entree. Enter the grilled ratatouille muffaletta sandwich, a giant boat of a meal that calls for freshly grilled vegetables to get tucked in between the hollowed-out insides of a big, crusty boule. Serve this dish immediately or assemble and refrigerate it for a day before offering it up to a hungry crowd.
You'll be so well fed that your burgers will be jealous.
Stop marinating this and start cooking! Here's what you'll need to get started:
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives, such as Kalamata and Cerignola
- 2 pepperoncini, stemmed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 4 small tomatoes (1 pound), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, patted dry
- 1 (8-inch) round loaf rustic bread, split horizontally and hollowed out